CRLS Research Guide
Making Note CardsTip Sheet 12
Ask these questions:
Why do it?
How do I do it?
1. Write the subtopic heading of the note at the top of each note card. (see Tip Sheet 11: Creating Subtopic Headings)
2. Write only one main point on a note card
3. Only write information directly related to your Statement of Purpose. (see Tip Sheet 9: Writing a Statement of Purpose)
4. Write only essential words, abbreviate when possible.
5. Be accurate: double check direct quotes and statistics.
6. Identify direct quotes with quotation marks and the person's name.
7. Bracket your own words [ ] when you add them into a quote.
8. Use ellipsis points (...) where you leave out non-essential words from a quote.
9. Distinguish between 'fact' and 'opinion'.
10. Include the source's number on the card (see Tip Sheet 4: Making Source Cards)
11. Write the page number of the source after the note.
12. Use the word 'over' to indicate information on the back of the card.
Sample note card: